PREVIOUS | HOME | TOC
THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE FIVE SENSES
- The First Sense ------------- Hearing gives him an idea of relative direction, and enables a man to fix his place in the scheme, and to locate himself.
- Physical Hearing
- Higher Clairaudience
- Comprehension (of four sounds)
- The Second Sense --------- Touch gives him an idea of relative quantity and enables him to fix his relative value as regards other bodies, extraneous to himself.
- Physical Touch
- Planetary Psychometry
- Active Service
- The Third Sense------------Sight gives him an idea of proportion, and enables him to adjust his movements to the movements of others.
- Physical Sight
- Higher Clairvoyance
- Divine Vision
- The Fourth Sense ---------- Taste gives him an idea of value, and enables him to fix upon that which to him appears best.
- Physical Taste
- The Fifth Sense------------- Smell gives him an idea of innate quality, and enables him to find that which appeals to him as of the same quality or essence as himself.
- Physical Smell
- Emotional Idealism
- Spiritual Discernment
- All Knowledge
In all these definitions it is necessary to bear in mind that the whole object of the senses is to reveal the not-self, and to enable the Self therefore to differentiate between the real and the unreal.
PREVIOUS | HOME | TOC | NEXT