PREVIOUS | HOME | TOC
THE SEVEN RAYS ENUMERATED
As part of the initial Plan, the one Life sought expansion, and the seven aeons or emanations came forth from the central vortex and actively repeated the earlier process in all its details. They too came into manifestation and in the work of expressing active life, qualified by love and limited by an outward phenomenal appearance, they swept into a secondary activity and became the seven Builders, the seven Sources of life and the seven Rishis of all the ancient scriptures. They are the original psychic Entities, imbued with the capacity to express love (which involves the concept of duality, for the loving and the loved, the desiring and the desired, must here be posited) and to emerge from subjective being into objective becoming. We call these seven by various names, as follows:
- The Lord of Power or Will. This Life wills to love, and uses power as an expression of divine beneficence. For His body of manifestation He uses that planet for which the sun is regarded as the esoteric substitute.
- The Lord of Love-Wisdom, Who is the embodiment of pure love, is regarded by esotericists as being as close to the heart of the Solar Logos as was the beloved disciple close to the heart of the Christ of Galilee. This Life instills into all forms the quality of love, with its more material manifestation of desire, and is the attractive principle in nature and the custodian of the Law of Attraction, which is the life-demonstration of pure Being. This Lord of Love is the most potent of the seven Rays, because He is on the same cosmic Ray as the solar Deity. He expresses Himself primarily through the planet Jupiter, which is His body of manifestation.
- The Lord of Active Intelligence. His work is more closely linked to matter and He works in cooperation with the Lord of the Ssecond Ray. He is the motivating impulse in the initial work of creation. The planet Saturn is His body of expression within the solar system, and through the medium of matter (which beneficently obstructs and hinders) He provides humanity with a vast field of experiment and experience.
- The Lord of Harmony, Beauty and Art. The main function of this Being is the creation of Beauty (as an expression of truth) through the free interplay of life and form, basing the design of beauty upon the initial plan as it exists in the mind of the Solar Logos. The body of manifestation of this life is not revealed, but the activity emanating from it produces that combination of sounds, colours and word music that expresses, through the form of the ideal, that which is the originating idea. This fourth Lord of creative expression will resume activity upon the Earth about six hundred years hence, though already the first faint impress of His influence is being felt and the next century will see a re-awakening of creative art in all its branches.
- The Lord of Concrete Knowledge and Science. This is a Great Life in close touch with the mind of the creative Deity, just as the Lord of the second Ray is in close touch with the heart of that same Deity. His influence is great at this time, though not as potent as it will be later. Science is a psychological unfoldment in man due to this Ray influence, and is only entering into its real work. His influence is waxing in power, just as the influence of the sixth Lord is waning.
- The Lord of Devotion and Idealism. This solar Deity is a peculiar and characteristic expression of the quality of the Solar Logos. Forget not that in the great scheme of the universal universe (not just our universe) our Solar Logos is as differentiated and distinctive in quality as are any of the sons of men. This Ray force, with the second Ray, is a true and vital expression of the divine nature. A militant focussing upon the ideal, a one-pointed devotion to the intent of the life urge, and a divine sincerity are the qualities of this Lord, and set their impress upon all that is found within His body of manifestation. Advanced esotericists debate as to whether Mars is, or is not, the planet through which He manifests. You must remember that only a few of the planets are the bodies of expression of the Lords of the Rays. There are ten "planets of expression" (to use the term employed by the ancient Rishis), and only seven Ray Lives are regarded as the Builders of the system. The influence of this sixth Lord is now passing out.
PREVIOUS | HOME | TOC | NEXT